Friday, March 14, 2008

Good Girl

My Corgi died this afternoon. Her full name was Ruby’s Lady Cordelia and she would have been 11 years old on March 26. We called her Corrie.

She was an eight-week-old puppy with floppy ears when we brought her home. I carried her on my shoulder when she cried at night for her mother, patting her back and murmuring to her. We trained her to sit, stay and lay down, but she never would roll over. Something about it scared her. The best was if you said “Gimme five!”, she would lift that little four-inch leg off the ground as high as she could. I swear she smiled while she did it because it even cracked her up.

She was a happy dog who made us happy. She was beautiful with a personality to match, funny, affectionate and loyal. She was a small dog with a big bark.

I had a perpetual line of Corrie-height dog hair on whatever I wore. Tumbleweeds of Corrie hair collected in corners. She acted deliriously happy to see me when I came through the door, whether I had been gone for minutes or days. She was a warm presence at my feet or at the side of my bed at night. For eleven years this was a constant.

It’s funny about dogs and how they insinuate themselves into your life. I can still hear her nails clicking on the floor. Her dish still has some food in it from her breakfast. Her lead is hanging by the back door. I guess she will always be with us. We were so lucky to have her. I believe dogs are good for your soul. They love unconditionally and ask for so little in return.














I held her in my arms for a while and just told her what a good dog she had been, how much I loved her and how much I’ll miss her.

She was. I did. And I will.

Good girl, Corrie.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Marie, I'm sorry.

Your post actually made me smile. I could tell how much you loved her and how happy she was to be with you. It's hard to lose those we love, but I know she had a great life with you.

Hugs and love to you, and Corrie.

Marie said...

Thanks so much Heather. I feel so bad. But I can smile too thinking of how much fun we had with her.

Thanks for the hugs my friend. :)

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful dog, and obviously a treasured member of your family. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories to ease the pain.

Anonymous said...

so true, Marie. Whenever I see a happy dog, it cracked me up. They're the happiest soul in the world!:) It's hard to accept the dog is there yesterday and gone tomorrow,but I think Corgi would want you to know she was happy because she was loved by you, and had a great life with you.

Marie said...

Thank you Cammy and Jessica. I am so grateful for your kind words. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marie, I'm sorry for your loss. I know you and Corrie had a special relationship, so you have warm memories to keep Corrie's spirit alive..........:)

Anonymous said...

Marie - so sorry to hear of Corrie's passing. What a friend she was to your family and what happy memories will be there - after the pain of loss leaves.

Hugs,
Judy

Marie said...

Thanks Lisa and Judy. I really appreciate all the warmth and comfort I am receiving from all of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Corrie. Your post made me smile too-reminding me of my sweet corgi, and how these goofy sweet little creatures become such a huge part of our lives.

Hugs to you...

Sydne

Ratsaurus said...

A nice looking dog. I'm sure you had fun together during her life.