Friday, June 20, 2008

Direction?

The original idea of this blog was to create a site of mutual support and encouragement in being good to ourselves, especially with weight loss. My accident has morphed it into something a little different and I am feeling somewhat uncomfortable about that.

I am trying to tell myself that it still is addressing issues that others can relate to. I am not completely sure though.

I was not particularly good to myself after I got hurt. (Although I did eat an awful lot of ice cream. It was quite delicious. :) ) My typical denial in the face of incontrovertible facts slowed my acceptance of the truth: that I was terribly injured. And would be in recovery for a very, very long time. Possibly up to a year. Now that this is finally reality to me, I am doing my best to nurture my body and take my recuperation seriously.

I am eating well, I am scrupulous about doing my home exercises and attending my three times a week Physical Therapy sessions, even though they are so grueling I want to weep. Ok, I do weep. Physical therapy is really, really hard. Although Mike, my physical therapist, couldn’t be nicer or more encouraging. I have gone back to the gym and have gingerly done some pool walking and stretching, although I can’t actually swim for a while. I am resting when my body says I need to rest. I am listening to it for a change instead of telling it to shut up, it doesn’t know what it’s talking about.

When my MS symptoms flare up, I still get angry and feel sorry for myself that I am not the active person I used to be, Super Woman, capable of doing it all. But I also try to acknowledge, rather than ignore, yes, my legs are like jelly today, or my feet feel as though they are filled with lead, or I am so dizzy I have to hold onto things to get around the house, the Furniture Crawl.

Bottom line, I am not sure where this blog is going. I don’t want it to be all about me (that is a TOTAL LIE!! I would love it to be all about me. Isn’t everything?!? :) ) I want to post things we can all relate to in ways of being good to ourselves, even if it is just a moment to stop and think about things that are important to you. Or seem interesting. Or to simply have a giggle. Because if nothing else, everyone needs to laugh now and then. And I am a sucker for a good audience.

So for right now, I will probably write about random things, but I will also remember what I started out to do. The title “Nourish” really can be expanded. Because that actually is what life should be about. Nourishing precious moments, nourishing our precious selves and nourishing our precious others.

I would love some feedback as to what you all think.

4 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

I have no advice to offer you because I don't know quite what the focus of MY work is, either. Life, I guess. Trying to find the positive in it.

I guess I've come to the conclusion that people will read what you had for dinner, and read it with enthusiasm, if it's well-written. So then the question becomes, "What fulfills YOU? What would you like to write about?"

Marie said...

Oooh, and I did actually have an awesome dinner last night. I went out with my dearest, beloved friend Barb (a different Barb). We sat on the Belmar inlet, ate delicious seafood, drank martinis, and talked about how miserable we are. lol It was the best!

And I loved reading about YOUR garbage cans. So I think you are right about that. Write it well, be funny and people can relate. And the best part is, I love it. I LOVE writing this blog.

Thanks Barb. I really appreciate you input. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know...you're doing great already with the blog and writing. Just write anything you would like to share. What's on your mind? Trying to see positive side of a life is a good topic.

A Yoga Mama is a Rama Mama said...

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I will try to dig deeper into your blog to understand what is going on or you can tell me more here. I was in a bad car accident over five years ago that injured my lower back and caused me to fall into depression and anxiety... That's when I met my best friend yoga. I truly know that it's what helped me out of the horrible tailspin I allowed myself to get into (quit my job, became unemployed and dirt poor, horrible pain, etc.).

I really do encourage you to check out yoga - even five minutes per day. Not sure if it's ok with your physical therapy although I noticed a lot of the yoga poses I did were similar to my therapy. If your back is affected, I love the book "Yoga Heals Your Back: 10-Minute Routines that End Back and Neck Pain" by Rita Trieger. Tons of short routines and easy to follow. Very good instruction and photos. I used it religiously for a few months and use the moves in my own yoga classes. I'm sure the yoga would be good for your MS too - did the accident cause it to flare up or what? I think I had fybromyalgia (probably misspelled it) before I was in the car accident and I'm sure it made it worse, but again I believe the yoga keeps it at bay...

Okay, I'm totally going on and on about yoga ... and my baby is crying so I better end this, but definitely keep in bloggy touch and I will keep coming back. If you're not on Blog Catalog you should check it out. Great blog aggregate site to get your blog out and learn about other similar ones. Plus we can send private messages through it.