Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut

It is Sunday, the day before my surgery.

Last time, with my shoulder, I was so full of drugs that by the time my surgery rolled around I was chipper and enthusiastic.

This time I am FREAKING OUT.

The problem I have is that the upper eyelid on my bad eye is drooping and the bottom eyelid is, I don’t know, doing something funky that the surgeon explained to me but I don’t see it so, whatever, just fix it and don’t tell me about it.

So he will fix it. He will fix it by SLICING MY EYELID OPEN WITH A SCALPEL!!!!!!! WHILE I AM CONSCIOUS!!!!!

Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!!! OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my therapist is away. IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!! Boo hoo hoooooooo!

Dang, I knew I shouldn’t have let go of her leg.

Oy. I need to calm down.

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! Unsuccessful calming down!!!

Alright, I will try again. With lots of lovely Bach and Mozart and Haydn and relaxation CD’s that tell me, nicely, to stop acting like a nut.

Keep your fingers crossed for me everyone. :)

9 comments:

DK said...

Fingers firmly crossed. You'll do great!! And trust me, it won't hurt a bit. I don't know why those opthos insist on operating on everyone concious (I mean, it's the EYE, you can SEE THEM), but they're good at it.

(PS - "AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! Unsuccessful calming down!!!" - best line I've read all week!)

Marie said...

Thanks Kate!

I know it shouldn't hurt. And I know even though I will be awake, I'll be sedated. It is just creepy to think of someone coming at your face with a scalpel. I'm glad my doctor doesn't look like Vincent Price. lol

I watched a couple of blepharoplasties on You Tube. With my hand across the screen the whole time. lol I like to torture myself that way.

I'm glad you liked that line. I consider that high praise coming from you. :)

Ann in NJ said...

Oh, my goodness. Yes, that will be freaky, to say the least. But don't underestimate the power of sedation. I had a doctor that referred to it as "I don't care" medication, so hopefully, it will be that! Any operation is nerve-wracking the night before, and usually, much less awful than anticipated.

Good luck!

Marie said...

Ann, it is so funny that you say that because before my shoulder surgery I did not give it a second thought and it was horrific. lol This is probably going to be a big nothing and I am a quivering mess.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the good wishes!

Jane Turley said...

Marie,
I have had two cysts removed on two separate occasions from my eyelids. Ok, it wasn't fun but it really wasn't that bad either! Just think about pain and discomfort on a scale of 1-10 by rating childbirth (no painkillers except G&A) as 10 - then I'd rate the eyelid work as about 0.5! Your work does sound more extensive than mine but whilst your there just focus on something like a clock or picture and it will be soon be over. Reward yourself with a choccy bar! This is a good week for you - a new job and eye surgery that will increase your confidence. Rejoice!

(Hmm.. make that 2 choccy bars!)

Marie said...

Hi Jane!! How about 2 choccy bars and a martini? Yum.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you I had my last two babies at home and would rate childbirth at about a 6. lol

But you are right, I will feel better after having this done and I do have a job, this IS a good week!!!!

Da Old Man said...

Good luck tomorrow. Sedation is good. :)

Marie said...

Thanks Joe!! I LOVE sedation! )

Jane Turley said...

Are you trying to tell me that your babies just popped out with a little squeeze? Damn it! I strongly believe all women should have to suffer like I did!

No way was I gonna do it at home! I like all that equipment and all those pretty buttons. (And sometimes the doctors aren't so bad either.....)