Friday, April 16, 2010

Photo Friday: My Cousin Steve



I have been so engrossed in beating my high score in Mahjongg Dimensions that I have completely forgotten Photo Friday TWO WEEKS in a row!!!

Oh my God, did I say Mahjongg Dimensions?!?! hahahahaha That is so silly! Everyone knows a total intellectual snob like me would never admit to would never waste my time playing computer games!

In reality, I have been reading The Odyssey in the original Greek.

heh heh

At any rate, today’s photo is of my dear cousin Steve. I almost said my beloved cousin Steve, but that makes him sound as though he were deceased whereas he is very much alive. Although he is beloved.

Steve does not look like this anymore, except in my mind. It never fails to astonish me that we are grown-ups now. This picture is from approximately 1958 or 1959. My family lived in New York City and my cousins lived in Yonkers. Because their house was on a beautiful terraced piece of property, where lilacs and lily of the valley stretched in layer after layer every spring, I thought they lived in the country. Going there was always a thrill for me as their home was a welcoming haven of warmth and love. The scents of those flowers still represent love and happiness and solace to me to this day.

Every Saturday I would clamber into our big green Chevy and my father would drive me up there so I could go to ballet lessons with Steve’s sisters, Nancy and Dorothy. I loved the girls, who were older than me, and elegant, accomplished dancers. But I hated the lessons, as I was short and graceless and quite possibly the world’s worst little ballerina.

It was when we got back to the house that I was happiest. As my father visited with my aunt and uncle, I got to spend time with Steve. My clearest memories are of watching Howdy Doody Time together. What is so special about those memories, however, is simply being aware of Steve’s sweetness and affection and knowing I was lucky to have him in my life.

And I am still lucky to have him in my life, although we live much farther apart now and don’t see each other very often. He grew from a sweet boy to a wonderful man, a husband and a father to a lovely wife and terrific son. He is a brilliant photographer, and one thing he specializes in is car racing.

Every year he takes part in One Lap of America, something I completely do not understand but is very exciting to race car enthusiasts. This year, to my surprise and gratitude, he is driving with a bumper sticker to bring attention to Multiple Sclerosis, but especially to my team, cleverly named Team Cooper!!!




He is so great.

The event starts April 30 and here is the link: http://www.onelapofamerica.com/home.shtml. I will post updates as he follows the cars around the country. They drive all over from state to state, sometimes getting as little as two hours sleep before getting up and driving again. And they do this for days and days and days and days and…

I know, it sounds like fun doesn’t it?

Part of the trip goes through New Jersey this year, so I will actually get to see him in race car photography action!

Steve is giving great exposure to the cause of MS awareness and I am so humbled by his thoughtfulness.

Thank you, my dear cousin. As you've said before, where did the Howdy Doody time go?


Photobucket

4 comments:

Steve said...

Hey, what can I say. The post is perfect.
From one cousin to another
Steve

Ferd said...

Wow, what a fun post to read! Thank you for sharing your warm memories, dripping in love!
Just for that, I'll check out the link to One Lap of america.
Go Team Cooper!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I understand the astonished to find that we are grown up part. When DID that happen?

Marie said...

Steve: Thanks,cousin. :)

Ferd: Hi, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you cheering us on!

Sharkbytes: I know! Who IS that fat old woman I see when I look in the mirror?!?!

Thanks everyone for reading and for your comments!